Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Grilled Cheese Gone Wrong

I left the children (and lunch responsibilities) with Ryan the other day to run some errands.  When I pulled into the garage I immediately detected the smell of something burnt.  Upon entering the house my suspicion was confirmed: burnt grilled cheese.  And the pan it had been made in was looking like this:



Needless to say, it did not scrub clean.  I thought I remembered that boiling apple cider vinegar in a pan would remove the burnt mark.  With none on hand I resorted to red wine vinegar.



I put about 1 cup of red wine vinegar (I am sure regular vinegar would work, too) into the pan and boiled it for a good 5 minutes, gently scrubbing it with a spatula.  Then I removed it from the heat and gave it a good scrub.  And...it came out like this:



About 99% of the burnt marking came off.  I'd say it was pretty successful!

PS - I highly recommend lighting a candle (or 10) if you need to resort to this.  Or your 5 year-old will ask what is making that stinky smell.

Ed. note - I left Ryan home with 4 kids and lunchtime pending and returned to find them all feed, kitchen clean, and baby happy.

3 comments:

  1. Did he at least get the cheese in the grilled cheese??

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have such great tips! Cant wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boiling vinegar in cast iron pans also makes them non-stick. Do this in addition to seasoning. I find that I have to redo the vinegar boil every six months or so.

    ReplyDelete